This project in Michigan used AGT™ Ultra Grade 1/2" Glow Stones as an exposed aggregate in a stamped concrete front door walkway. David T from Formtec used these luminescent stones to not only added an enchanting touch to the pathway but also provided safety and functionality during the nighttime. In this blog post, we will dive into the installation process of AGT™ Glow Stones in stamped concrete, exploring the transformative effects they brought to the project.
Installing AGT™ Glow Stones in a stamped concrete walkway requires careful planning and attention to detail. By following the installation guide provided by Ambient Glow Technology (AGT™), the process becomes streamlined and efficient. Let's explore the key points outlined in this installation guide:
- Pour the Slab: To start, pour the slab. You can add a base color to the mix to achieve any desired output. To enhance the strength of the area, add a fiber mesh, wire mesh, and small stones in the mix. Once the slab is poured and screeded you're ready for the next step.
- Place in Aggregates: When the concrete reaches a specific consistency, it's time to place the AGT™ aggregates. It has to hit a certain consistency so that the glow stone can be floated into the slab without them getting buried in the wet concrete. The concrete consistency should be such that you can only press your finger into the the slab 1-2". Typically, you can hand place the aggregate sporadically throughout the area; however, the aggregate can also be arranged in a specific pattern design if desired.
- Apply Release & Stamp: After placing the AGT™ aggregate in the concrete, apply a release over the surface and stamp the area. The release must be put down after the aggregate is placed, or the aggregate won't stick to the concrete. After stamping, scrub most of the release off.
- Spray on Retarder: Please follow the manufacturer's instructions for the retarder regarding the recommended duration for leaving it on before conducting a pressure wash on the concrete surface. Adhering to these guidelines will ensure optimal results and help maintain the integrity of the concrete.
- Wash, Seal & Enjoy: Once the concrete is cured (typically after 12-24 hours) pressure wash and apply the desired sealer. Then enjoy the glow!
The integration of AGT™ Ultra Grade 1/2" Glow Stones into a stamped concrete walkway offers numerous advantages. The glowing properties of these stones significantly enhance visibility during nighttime. The soft glow emitted by the stones provides a gentle illumination that guides pedestrians along the pathway. And along with their aesthetic appeal, AGT™ Glow Stones are made from durable and weather-resistant materials, ensuring long-lasting performance. They require minimal maintenance, as their glow is naturally replenished by exposure to light.